Nov 21, 2008

On the path of becoming an eagle scout - AN NHIEN


On the path of becoming an eagle scout, I have to take a lot of tests and hardships just to get to it. The first thing I have to do is get twenty-one merit badges. I can still remember the first time I went to a merit badge camp. It was really fun.

I had to wake up really early in that day. I was very excited; I was going to get my first merit badges. I ate a little bit of breakfast and headed of to the meeting area. My dad and I were there first, we waited a little while for everyone to come and we were on our way. We stopped at a supper market to buy lunches; My dad and I bought a drink and everyone else had a little time refreshing themselves. I slept through the whole journey so I didn’t know how everything was like on the way. When we arrived, I woke up. That place is huge. There are trees everywhere. And all the cabins and houses are pretty far from each other. I started my tent right when we got off to our campsite. It was easier than I thought I would be. We went out for the grand tour the late afternoon to see how the camp looks like. I took swimming, first aid, leather work and rifle so I had to remember all of those locations. The schedule started at 8:00 am but I woke up really early because I slept really early in those days.



We had breakfast at 7:00 am and after lunch, I went off to rifle. It was an easy trail, just a really long, down hill path. I like rifle the most because I got to handle a real gun. I was pretty good at it, and I would finish earlier in that week if my gun hasn’t screwed up. After rifle is first aid, now this is a long way. I had to run uphill for over one and a half miles. This class is really easy because I have already learned everything at home; this class is an easy shot. Next was swimming. This class is the most easiest because they just taught you basis techniques and how to survive; everything else was a piece a cake. After lunch was rank studying. This is not a merit badge class, but they helped you to improve your rank. I nearly finished of tenderfoot rank thanks to this class. The last was leather work. This is the class that I despised the most, because it needed good hand skill, and I am most certainly not one. But I manage to pull myself through this class. And there is something that is really weird: every teenagers that taught me were all younger or as old as me. In the end, it was a success, I got all four merit badge. I made some new friend in my troops when I was on camp, too. I turned out that everything worked out nicely.


I learned a lot from this camp. I really want to go back next year to earn more badges and to learn more cool new stuffs.


An Nhiên - tức Ti Nô

1 comment:

Hot... said...

Hương thân.



Anh mới thấy hai bài về hướng đạo trên blog. Coi được lắm. Ngặt hình lúc click lên nhỏ quá, coi không đã chút nào. Uổng quá, vì có nhiều tấm đẹp và sống động lắm kìa.



T