Feb 26, 2018

THE UNIVERSALITY OF PHYSICAL LAW



Knowledge of physical laws can, in some cases, give you the confidence to confront surly people.  A few years ago I was having a hot-cocoa nightcap at a dessert shop in Pasadena, California. Ordered it with whipped cream, of course.  When it arrived at the table, I saw no trace of the stuff.  After I told the waiter that my cocoa had no whipped cream, he asserted I couldn't see it because it and to the bottom.  But whipped cream has low density, and floats on all liquids that humans consume. So I offered the waiter two possible explanations: either somebody forgot to add the whipped cream to my hot cocoa or the universal laws of physics were different in his restaurant.  Unconvinced, he defiantly brought over a dollop of whipped cream to demonstrate his claim.  After bobbing once or twice the whipped cream rose to the top, safely afloat.

What better proof do you need of the universality of physical law?


"Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson

No comments: