Mar 30, 2017

POET VAN TRAN




Mom and I resumed translating. Below are the 5 poems by POET VAN TRAN. Enjoy! 


pp. 177-81: Van Tran’s poems;

The Poem for Mother
My mother worked hard from morning to night
Raising her young and innocent children in the house
Toiling all day without a word of complaint
Only to fulfill her responsibility as a mother
We children take to heart that 
When growing up, we have to show gratitude to her
Wishing that she lives for a long time
So that we could listen to her sweet counsel. 

The Poem for Father [sorry, too short 😀 ]
My father was sent to the re-education camp 
For two continuous years
My mother stayed at home, taking care of house chores
Looking after her young children
  
The Poem for Maternal Grandmother

My grandmother is now seven three
Short stature with rosy complexion
Loving her children and grandchildren, she visited us in the south
Rubbing heads, scratching backs, hardly a resting moment
Every time she visited us, I knew
I offered her a hot cup of tea with sugar
Grandma smiled, taking out a small bag of peanuts
Toothless chewing, crimson red betel nuts
How sad I am when she returned to the north 
A simple stanza I dedicate to my grandma.  

Sunday: March 26, 2017

The cat
My family raised a kitten
All day long, it ran up and down, playfully
But everyone, not too quick to laugh at it
Because, while being mischievous, it never bothers anyone 
Everytime a rat appears,     
It spreads its claws, lights up its eyes, and frightens even a big rat
But without rats, the cat becomes a Buddha 
Curling with eyes half-closed
Two ears still listening quietly 
Long tail twitching as if searching for something 
I wish that the kitten would behave better.

Doing housework [Everyone had a great laugh, translating this poem 😋 ]
Part I
Morning has arrived, time to wake up
Sweeping the floor, boiling the water, sorting out the vegetables, stir-frying the noodle
After breakfast, I’m ready to go
Arriving at Ba Hat market, what to buy?
First was a kilogram of potatoes
Tender beef, sprinkled with onions
Buying several kohlrabi (xu hao) still with green leaves
Adding a bunch of green onions
Then, a dime of lemon
Ground pork soup with green onions
Rhythmically, I march home
Not a coin left in the pocket
Now, I’m ready to go home.
***********************
Part II
Back at home, I put the meat in the refrigerator
Selecting the vegetables, and frying the sesame salt
With the sound of musical instrument 
Singing a song, echoing all around the house 
Getting ready with lemon, onions, pepper, garlic
Lighting the stove, cooking the rice
Then slicing beef,
Seasoning with fish sauce and salt, I stir fry
Peeling the kohlrabi
Greening leaves, savory bowl of soup 
How can you forget my hard work

Multi-tasking, (nu si Van Tran) well regarded/well known in the household. 

Trích "Đi"
Tác Giả: Doãn Quốc Sỹ

Dịch Giả: Doãn Thị Quý và gái Ngọc 

No comments: