Dec 15, 2022

MY CHILDHOOD HOUSE - Nguyễn Đình Thảo Chi

 


This morning I woke up to the news that my childhood house no longer exists. Those who know me and my family know how special this house was to us. The little green house at the end of an alley, for many generations, always had its doors open for family and friends, often filled with laughter and music, and very often turned strangers into extended families. In that house, several generations were born, many meals were shared, countless parties were held, gazillion sleepovers took place, and many family traditions were celebrated. That little green house held so many memories and was so special to us that it remained “our house” even years after we sold it and moved thousands of miles away. It was also one of the reasons why I often think of Vietnam as “home home”. 

How often can a person find such a precious place even when they spend almost half of their life away from it? People may say “a house doesn’t make a home”, but to my family, this house was the home, not only to us, but to many others who had come to love it as much as we did.  

Goodbye house! I love you! Up you go to find your own Neverland where you will always be that little green house at the end of the alley where the door opens to all of our hearts. 🎈 🎈❤️🎈🎈❤️🎈🎈

ThaoChi Nguyen

June 12 - 2019


No comments: