Oct 13, 2019

THE MOON CAKE GIFT - Doan Kim Khanh


Ngân and Khánh @ Twin Cities


The phone rang, and from the other end of the line was Khanh, my high-school girl-friend’s voice: “I caught a discounted airfare and will be coming to visit you in a couple of weeks. It would be by our Mid-Autumn Full Moon. Would you like me bringing you some moon cake?” To her excitement, because of course it would be her very first time visiting the Twin Cities, I felt rejoiced because in 2 weeks, we the residents in 7500 York will celebrate the 40th anniversary of our home. But I politely turned down Khanh’s proposal of bringing moon cakes. My explanation was that Khanh should pack light. Besides, we may always buy moon cakes in Minneapolis.

Whoever have had encounters with the oriental cultures would know about our annual celebration of Trung-Thu (the Mid-Autumn festival) that always occurs on or around the full moon of the 8th month of the Lunar Year. Colorful paper lanterns were made in different forms of animals and given to children. At dusk, they would have their lanterns lighted up; and they would have the chance to compete with other children in their neighborhood for having the most beautiful lantern. The adults would have their favorite dessert, the moon cake, served with the best green tea while contemplating the red full moon in the court yard with their neighbors. Over forty years ago, the Moon Cake was quite a treat to Vietnamese immigrants and special gift to our American friends. But nowadays, when we Americans can find anything specially made overseas in the United States, this delicacy gradually lost its preeminent meaning. Nonetheless, my spouse and I still kept this tradition for the past many years.

Anyway, “Mon histoire c’est l’histoire d’un amour…” and the story I am about to tell is how my moon cake was lost then found. Mike passed away last year on a red full moon night. Since then I have the habit to wait for another full moon to come. When moving in 7500 York, I only knew that my windows would be facing East; and I would enjoy contemplating the sun rise every morning. To my total enchantment, almost every month, the full moon entered my room through the windows to stay for long hours before my sleep. A week after Khanh’s call, I was watching for the full moon to come. To my disappointment, the weather broadcasting kept announcing that Minneapolis would have a whole week of stormy rains; and I would miss my full moon this Trung-Thu; and I did not expect Khanh to bring any moon cakes.
Khanh still wanted to surprise me with a moon cake. But she could no longer find it carefully wrapped in her backpack; so Khanh kept quiet, did not disclose to me that the moon cake was mysteriously lost.

It was almost the last day of our 40th anniversary celebration. I received a note on my door. It was Mikki’s (on the 4th floor) note telling me that a “Vietnamese pastry” was found on Caroline’s (on the 3rd floor) car trunk. Caroline’s daughter had been teaching ESL to immigrants … and … while Caroline was trying to post an announcement about the found Vietnamese pastry, Mikki was passing by the bulletin board and suggesting to Caroline that a Vietnamese new resident, Ngan, on the 4th floor could be the owner of the pastry. When I rushed down to read the announcement on the bulletin board, it was already removed perhaps by Lee (on the 1st floor) who actually was the person who found the moon cake on the garage ground by Caroline’s car, picked it up and carefully put it on Caroline’s car trunk. Khanh and I went to Caroline’s home to claim our moon cake lost and found; Khanh was so happy to bump into Ray in front of his home, from across Caroline’s. Later, I learned from Khanh that while I was preoccupied with my Sign Language group performance, Ray was a great host presenting 7500 York to her.

It was meant to me that with the help of Lee, Caroline, Mikki, and Ray the lost moon cake was finally found, bringing Khanh peace of mind and to me a small piece of happiness. My friends in 7500 York are many more; I don’t think a list of names is necessary. To all, I thank you for your friendship. “God bless my home sweet home”.

Written on 9/30/2019 – as a Thank You Note to pastor Dale Howard of Normandale Lutheran Church, and retiree pastor Roger Domyahn, resident of 7500 York.

Ngan Doan – on the 4th floor. 

No comments: